BBD Editor: Dan Hope
The Buffalo Bills have a new general manager in Doug Whaley, all but one of their draft picks is now signed and while the offseason still has a few more months remaining, organized team activities (OTA’s) got underway in Buffalo last week. Meanwhile, we here at Buffalo Bills Draft not only kept up with the general manager switch, but also began to look ahead to the 2014 NFL draft and continued looking ahead to the Bills’ upcoming season.
BBD on the Bills
- BBD’s six staff writers and Bills fans commented with their thoughts on Buddy Nix’s more than three years as Buffalo Bills general manager in BBD’s first “Open Thread.”
- Staff writer Ryan Talbot brought his Sophomore Spotlight series to a close with looks at linebacker Nigel Bradham, cornerback Ron Brooks and offensive lineman Zebrie Sanders. Check out the bottom of Ryan’s Sanders spotlight to find out how you could win in BBD’s Autograph Card Giveaway!
- Staff writer Eric Samulski broke down the top contenders to start at left guard for the Bills in 2013.
- EJ Manuel isn’t the only rookie quarterback on the Buffalo Bills’ roster. Staff writer Joseph Curtis profiled the Bills’ “other” rookie quarterback, Jeff Tuel.
Breaking Down the 2014 NFL Draft’s Top Prospects
- Staff writer Evan Sidery explained why South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney is a “once-in-a-generation” prospect.
- I explained why Teddy Bridgewater is the favorite to be the No. 1 overall pick, complete with a breakdown of his game, even in a draft class that includes Clowney.
- Texas A&M offensive tackle Jake Matthews may have been the No. 1 overall pick had he declared for the 2013 NFL Draft. I broke down why he’ll be an early selection in 2014.
- Staff writer Joe Marino previewed the 2014 NFL Draft’s other top offensive tackle, Michigan’s Taylor Lewan.
More on the Bills
- Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com provided updates from each of the three days of the Bills’ first OTA: Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3
- Second-round pick wide receiver Robert Woods became the seventh of Buffalo’s eight draft pick to sign his rookie contract, signing a four-year deal according to ESPN.com’s James Walker.
- On a more serious note, star Bills defensive end Mario Williams is going through some off-field issues in messy legal proceedings with his ex-fiance. A story by the Houston Chronicle‘s David Barron revealed text messages from Williams to his ex-fiance in which he mentioned hydrocodone abuse and suicidal thoughts.
Around the NFL Draft Sites Network
- In a guest column for NEPatriotsDraft, I questioned Bill Belichick’s affinity toward drafting players who played for current Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano at Rutgers.
- The Buffalo Bills shouldn’t be in the market for a quarterback in the 2014 NFL Draft. For teams who are, Marc Sluis of NY Jets Draft bought or sold each of the draft class’ top signal-caller prospects.